Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Pride

A few weeks ago, I went up to New York City, my favorite place and my home for three years, to visit some of my friends.  Little did I know it would be an historic weekend, with the state's government passing a bill for marriage equality.  It also happened to be the same weekend as the Gay Pride Parade.  I've gone to the Parade in the past and it's always a blast-- doesn't matter if you're gay, straight, questioning, walking through, curious, a supporter, or a participant; all are welcome.  The openness and friendliness I've experienced there are always exhilarating.  As a straight white female raised in the US, I can't begin to imagine how liberating this must be for someone who may otherwise have to hide who they really are, for whatever reasons.  This year, though, the crowd was ecstatic.  Dozens of people marched in wedding dresses despite the heat, while others opted to wear veils, tuxes, or carry bridal bouquets.  I even heard about proposals happening during the parade itself, though I didn't see any myself. 

This one picture brought a particular smile to my face:


But I was particularly moved by this picture:


I read a lot about conflict and horrific acts of violence, so I often forget that there are people living in fear in the US.  This sign was a bittersweet reminder that we still have progress to make in our own country.  Many eyes are on the US; with the passage of progressive bills such as this one that recognize the right to legally share your life and love with someone of the same gender, we can serve as a role model for countries that have endemic and/or institutionalized homophobia.

For more coverage on GLBT rights here and abroad, check:
The Moth, by Charlene Strong "It Wasn't Enough" (highly, highly recommended)
The Moth, by Lt Dan Choi "Don't Tell, Martha!"

By Lindsay North

No comments:

Post a Comment