Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Post from Palestine

Funny the way life leads us. My plan to spend the summer in the West Bank started out as an idea in January, a back-up plan of sorts, but by April it had become the most viable option for a summer field internship. I had taken two semesters of formal Arabic, and had begun focusing my graduate research on the MENA region. All of my field experience had taken place in Latin America, and I felt it was time to break into a new region. Aware that large amounts of foreign aid flow into Palestine, I arrived in Ramallah with only a list of organizations operating in the area and a handful of contacts. Upon arriving, I literally knocked on the doors of international organizations and introduced myself - “Hi, I’m talented, free labor.” The International Youth Foundation quickly took me up on my offer, and I ended up with an internship related to my concentration in economic development.

I had hoped this summer would be a great learning experience in terms of my career. And while there is that, what I did not see coming is the amount of information I’m internalizing in regards to this half-century-old conflict. It is everywhere and in everything, permeating, often silently, the smallest pieces of every day life in the West Bank. Like many foreigners that stay awhile in these parts, the Israeli occupation and its injustices have consumed much of my thought and energy. Understanding all of its nuances has become the central force of my stay here. For my fairly regular thoughts on the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, you can read my blog: http://journalingajourney.blogspot.com/

I consider myself lucky to have an internship that keeps me busy. I’m on my third international internship and they haven’t always been fulfilling. I’m conducting qualitative research on young entrepreneurs in Palestine; listening to young people share their stories of success has been an emotional lifesaver amid a backdrop of depressing realities.

My research is shaping me, as well. I’m increasingly considering tackling development strictly through a business angle. I see so much value in employing people - providing jobs - thereby giving people a sense of purpose and the tools they need to conduct their lives as they see fit, while also stimulating the local economy. In the West Bank, aid often does a lot more harm than good, and, as is, is indisputably detrimental to the economy. Truth is, the best “aid” the U.S. could give to Palestine would be to stop aid to Israel, or to stop politically supporting the occupation. Palestine’s economic development is impossible as long as the occupation continues.

I have no idea how this summer will shape my future, but I’ll certainly return to D.C. with improved Arabic language skills and a connection to this part of the world and this conflict. That’s the beauty of the lifestyle I’ve, we’ve, chosen, alhamdulillah.

Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment